After a lot of research and looking for the ‘glasshouse of my desire’ has been completed. My ideal is a near-free upcycled style utilising old wooden windows, and building walls to support it. My planning was really a decision process, what do I want to build, what do I want to grow in it, and where’s the best place for this in our yard. The outcome really needs to be an improvement on the make-shift shed that we had.
Here’s the simple build list – building to my budget of next-to-nothing, ideally under $100 NZD:
- Find and buy cheap old windows
- Collect the windows ready for installation
- Find and buy old wood for foundation and framing (< $60 total)
- Collect the wood and materials needed
- Start planning the size and considering the design
- Demolish the old shed & save the screws for reuse
- Create the foundation
- Create the first wall
- Finish all the walls
- Put the roof on.
FINDING & BUYING
- It was easy enough to source old windows and after a few bids for $1 (one dollar), I was on my way with a small collection of various sized wooden windows.
- Collecting all the windows was quite an ordeal travelling to many locations to pick up large and heavy old windows some in poor condition others in near-new condition.
TIDY & FOUNDATION